Saturday, July 23, 2011

Cover - Then Why Not Every Man

As promised, here are some new covers; with much gratitude to Laura & Rebecca:

A Story of Triumph & Tragedy

This is the story of a young man called "Runaway", and his long struggle to achieve the dream of finding Freedom.  After a life of degradation and fear, with no memory of his own family, "Runaway" is finally on the long road North, to a Promised Land he has heard about in the slave songs sung by the field hands.

His biggest fear is that Freedom is nothing more than the dream of his lost people; that it doesn't really exist, and that the only Freedom he will ever acheive the final release found in death.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kit,
    I think I've read everything you've written that I can get my hands on. This book seems to be different from the others. What inspired you to write this story? I can't wait for it to be published!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Janet:

    I've always been fascinated by stories about the Underground Railroad and the courage and determination of not only the Conducters who led people north; but of the individuals who risked the unknown to flee the horrors of slavery.

    I also grew up not understanding the concept of one man owning another; or this thing called "race". When I was very small, my Grandmother Brown told me it wasn't the color of a person's skin that mattered, it was the color (condition) of their soul that was important. And later my older brother -- a career combat soldier -- made it even clearer when he told me that "we all bleed red".

    "Why Not Every Man?" is a line from a Negro spiritual. I read the words to the song, and the story just came from there; from what the music conveyed. I only hope I've done the story justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kit!

    I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete